The London Critics' Circle Film Awards
The dazzling awards event was held for the first time at BFI SouthBank.
The London Critics’ Circle Awards, held for the first year at the BFI South Bank, treated critics and guests to a dazzling array of celebrities which included Danny Boyle, Aaron Sorkin, Sam Taylor-Wood, Colin Firth, Rosamund Pike, Kristin Scott-Thomas, Lesley Manville, Olivia Williams, Ruth Sheen and Mike Leigh. Even more exciting were the awards, which saw 'The Social Network' take four gongs for Screenwriter of the Year for Aaron Sorkin, Best British Actor in a Supporting Role for Andrew Garfield, Director of the Year for David Fincher and Film of the Year. 'The King's Speech' won three categories, including The Attenborough Award for British Film of the Year, Actor of the Year for Colin Firth and British Director of the Year for Tom Hooper.
Terrific acceptance speeches were the standard, with witticisms coming from Aaron Sorkin, Best Supporting Actress Olivia Williams, Colin Firth and a gracious, amusing acceptance from Kristin Scott-Thomas, who was given the presitigious Dilys Powell Award for Excellence in Film. Accepting by video were Gareth Edwards, in a funny pro-UK acceptance speech cheekily recorded near the Hollywood sign, and a particularly nice acceptance speech from the bearded writer of ‘Of Gods And Men’ Etienne Cormar.
Chairman Jason Solomons hosted the event (in good style - Ricky Gervais could take a few tips), with presentations from critics such as David Gritten, Rich Cline, Anna Smith, Robbie Collin and others. Bubbly sponsorship was everflowing, thanks to Moet & Chandon.
Winners list of 31st London Critics’ Circle Film Awards:
* FILM OF THE YEAR: ‘The Social Network’
* THE ATTENBOROUGH AWARD: BRITISH FILM OF THE YEAR: ‘The King’s Speech’
* FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM OF THE YEAR: ‘Of Gods and Men’
* ACTOR OF THE YEAR: Colin Firth – ‘The King’s Speech’
* ACTRESS OF THE YEAR: Annette Bening – ‘The Kids Are All Right’
* BRITISH ACTOR OF THE YEAR: Christian Bale – “The Fighter”
* BRITISH ACTRESS OF THE YEAR: Lesley Manville – ‘Another Year’
* BRITISH ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE: Andrew Garfield – ‘The Social Network’
* BRITISH ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE: Olivia Williams – ‘The Ghost’
* YOUNG BRITISH PERFORMER OF THE YEAR: Conor McCarron – ‘NEDs’
* DIRECTOR OF THE YEAR: David Fincher – ‘The Social Network’
* BRITISH DIRECTOR OF THE YEAR: Tom Hooper – ‘The King’s Speech’
* SCREENWRITER OF THE YEAR: Aaron Sorkin – ‘The Social Network’
* BREAKTHROUGH BRITISH FILM-MAKER: Gareth Edwards – ‘Monsters’
* DILYS POWELL AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN FILM: Kristin Scott Thomas
For more Getty photos and further coverage by CC Film Section Secretary Rich Cline, go to http://shadowsontheweb.blogspot.com/2011/02/31st-london-critics-circle-film-awards.html